[CAUT] Wire Stretch

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Mon Apr 30 15:12:42 MDT 2007

ROLF !!  Yeah... it wouldnt take very many slices to do the job.

Seriously tho.. we got several interrelated tangents to the main thread
going.  I'm responding to the bit that has to do with what happens to
the strings tension, frequency and downbearing force for a given change
in how much it is deflected upwards.  Its easy to figure this and
provides one very interesting peice of information... namely how much
resultant downbearing there is for a given change in string deflection.
This can be used in comparison with what is reasonable for a soundboard
to be able to do... both upwards and downwards in the face of resultant
downbearing force for a given hypothetical deflection.

I tend to agree with your last paragraph.  I think I made a similar
point a couple years ago relative to this notch edge crushing as a
result of the bridge pins holding the string down while the bridge face
is expanding.... part of the argumentation used then to refute that
strings can climb bridge pins.  This argumentation seems to have been
backed off from quite a bit lately.

Cheers
RicB

    Oh, I thought the question at hand was whether the cutting of a
    groove into
    the bridge would cause a drop in pitch inbetween tunings. Let's see;
    with a
    0.5mm drop of the string inbetween each tuning, the bridge cap would
    be cut
    in two in about 8 tunings.
    I agree with whoever suggested that the resistance of the board
    would lessen
    any impact of the groove on tension.

    Usually when things compact, they do so at a rate of 80% in the
    first 10% of
    the overall time frame so the groove lowering the pitch on a regular
    basis
    seems to me to be illogical.

    Keith