[CAUT] Wire Stretch

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Mon Apr 30 03:26:40 MDT 2007

Keith, you arent reading the posts close enough.  Sorry.. but John didnt
say anything about retuning the piano back to frequency, then figureing
tension.  The question at hand is how to calculate a change in frequency
for a change in deflection. If you want to retune and calculate
tension...then fine.  But thats another matter entirely.

Ric

     > No John
     >
     > He does not just use Pythagoras' theorem just as you did.  And if
    you stop
     > up and look closely I am sure you will understand this.  When you
    change the
     > deflection you change three things... its length, tension, and
    frequency.
     > The new length you can calculate just as you did.  But that
    leaves you with
     > two unknowns... the new tension and the new frequency.

    No Rick,

    the piano is retuned to the proper frequency after the recalulation of
    length. Then you have a bunch of things that are not unknown anymore.

    You really don't think a bunch of piano tooners are going to hammer
    a string
    0.5mm down into the bridge and not tune the dang thing, do you?

    Keith Roberts