[CAUT] Wire Stretch

Ed Sutton ed440 at mindspring.com
Sun Apr 29 14:21:14 MDT 2007

Chris-

If we resurface a bridge top before restringing, we may be using this to advantage if we don't sand or plane below the grooves at the notches, because we will be retaining the "pre-crushed" wood at the places where the strings are supported.   Installing new pins with epoxy will also help harden the bridge top and make it more resistant to humidity change.  Bill Spurlock published some articles about this in the 1990's.

Ed Sutton