[CAUT] Wire Stretch

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Sun Apr 29 13:22:17 MDT 2007

At 5:51 pm +0100 29/4/07, RicB wrote:

>Unfortunatly, you can not calculate the change in frequency for
>change in string deflection this way. Or so I am told by a few of
>the worlds physisists.  Please see the following for what according
>to these is a more correct way of doing this.Ê
>
><http://www.pianostemmer.no/files/String%20deflection_files/brekne.doc>

Your "world's physicist", in the file above, uses Pythagoras' theorem
and no other principle, just as I did, to calculate the changes in
length.  The only difference in his equations is that he takes into
account a change in length behind the bridge, considered as a violin
bridge and not a piano bridge.  Clearly some slight difference in the
results will arise if that is added in, with corrections for the
actual disposition of the string on a real bridge, just as the
re-angling of the dogleg 1/2mm lower round the slanting front pin on
a real piano bridge will make a difference, but I'm at a loss to
understand why you consider your famous person's Pythagorean theorem
so superior to mine and intrigued to see your worked example and
results based on this document.

If, for instance, you take C76 with a speaking length of 100mm, as I
proposed, and take into account a back-length of 50mm, with an
initial deflection of +1.5mm (i.e the soundboard bridge is 1.5mm
above the straight line from hitch-plate bearing to top bridge), what
exact results do you get, using your valued equations, when you force
the string down 1/2mm into the wood of the bridge at the front pin?

JD