[CAUT] Wire Stretch

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sun Apr 29 11:08:48 MDT 2007

> Could string seating procedures also overcome friction at the bridge and
> move tension back behind the bridge?

I don't see why not, assuming enough tension difference to
pull through (whatever that may be).

>I done it and heard "ticks" as the
> string let go of its oxidised bonds and passed over the bridge.  I've
> assumed that (in humid, rusty climates) the area behind the bridge can
> become a well of instability when pianos are tuned annually or less and
> these bonds can form.
>
> Andrew Anderson

But then no one that I'm aware of has ever reported a pitch
rise in the speaking length from seating a string. They all
report a pitch drop, often of nearly a quarter semitone. If
there is significant tension difference between string
segments, the rear segments will be of higher tension than the
front segments at least part of the time.
Ron N