[CAUT] Differential chain hoist - with photo 2

McNeilTom at aol.com McNeilTom at aol.com
Sat Apr 28 21:28:15 MDT 2007

In a message dated 4/27/2007 12:41:05 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
gnewell at ameritech.net writes:

Tom,
This  is an important post to me. Thank you for taking the time! I'd like to
ask if  the jerky feel from motor driven hoists is present in air motors too.
I  understand that there is difficulty with the electric units but I wasn't
aware  of the same problem with air driven units. Also, what is a "differential"
 chain hoist? Thanks again!

Greg Newell

Hi, Greg -

I have no experience with air-powered hoists.  I could imagine  that might be
OK if there's a way to bleed air pressure into the system for  start-up and
if the rest of the mechanical arrangement is friction-free  enough that is
doesn't require too much build-up of pressure to start the  lift.  Remember that
pneumatics depend on a very elastic medium -  air.  If you go this route, I'm
sure we'd all be glad of your  feedback.

Ah, the differential chain hoist.  Let me give you a description and a
couple photos.  There is a single continuous length of endless chain  (not the
separate operating chain and lift chain of the common geared chain  hoist).  This
chain runs over two wheels on the upper fixed pulley,  and one on the lower
pulley, thus forming two loops.  One of the loops is  the 'load loop'
(containing the lower pulley) and the other is the  'operating loop' (no lower pulley).
The upper (fixed) pulley  consists of two 'wildcat' wheels cast as a single
unit.  (A 'wildcat' is a  pulley which has teeth cast in it to mesh with a
certain gauge of chain  link.)  The two wildcats turn as a unit.  One of them has
one more  tooth and accommodates two more links of chain than the other.
(Mine  is 11/10 I think.)  Thus, pulling the chain on the 'operating  loop'
subtracts or adds (depending on whether you're lifting or  lowering) two links to
the 'load loop'  for each revolution of the  wildcat.  Now remember that in
lifting a load you must shorten both sides  of the 'load loop' in this typical
pulley arrangement.

So (using the ratio of my hoist) your total mechanical advantage  is 20:1.
That's the theoretical advantage; there's some minor loss due to  friction.  I
have many times used this rig to lift a whole S&S  'D', just under 1,000 lbs.
And I supposed that the pull required was  perhaps 70 lbs., about all it's
comfortable for me to pull.  Lifting a  typical plate, say 350 lbs., probably
requires about 20 lbs. of pull.

Attached [to the previous email posting] is a photo showing the whole setup
including the differential hoist.  You might notice that there are actually
two parallel I-beams.  The larger one is structural to the building, and I
used to hoist from that.  The smaller I-beam, carrying the trolley and  hoist in
the photo, was added alongside by me.  Its sole purpose is to  gain some eight
inches of lifting 'head room'.

Attached here is the second photo. It shows the teeth on the 'wildcat'
pulley.  Notice that the wheel on the left is a little smaller than the one  on the
right.  That is the 'differential' from which this rig gets its  name.

~ Tom McNeil  ~
Vermont Piano Restorations
VermontPiano.com

346 Camp  Street