[CAUT] Wire Stretch

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Sat Apr 28 01:04:51 MDT 2007

At 12:10 am +0100 28/4/07, RicB wrote:

>Course the problem with this notion is that equal tension by no means...
>
>Try figureing a scale to do this !... what do I know ... perhaps its
>easier then I imagine

I am surprised you have not read the book, which is one of the few
classics available.  Have you not read Junghans in 'Der Piano- und
FlŸgelbau' either, which details a scale on very similar principles
to Wolfenden's; not that several makers were not already following
these principles -- there was nothing new about it in 1916 -- and
most still do.  In fact an 1865 Kirkman I am currently working on
might almost have been the model for such a scale.

What scales have you designed and what principles did you follow?

JD