[CAUT] Wire Stretch

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Fri Apr 27 17:10:21 MDT 2007

Course the problem with this notion is that equal tension by no means
(in fact dictates the opposite) of equal amounts of downbearing pressure
across the scale unless one compensates by graduating the downbearing
angle appropriatly...which I dont think anyone does.

If the equal tension idea would have any chance of equalizing the
soundboards / bridge climatic changes with relation to pitch.. then
whatever change in string deflection caused by an assumed equal change
in wood dimensions would have to result in an equal change in tension
for every string regardless of length.

Try figureing a scale to do this !... what do I know ... perhaps its
easier then I imagine

Cheers
RicB

 From Wolfenden via Delacour

  It is now known from experience that practical equality of tension
      throughout the instrument tends to prevent changes in the tuning due
      to variations in the temperature.  When the tension is equal the
      temperature movements are equal.