[CAUT] Wire Stretch

John Ross jrpiano at win.eastlink.ca
Fri Apr 27 15:13:33 MDT 2007

A few years ago, I was called to tune a piano, and it was down, I think
about 2 tones. I should have written the specifics down, but didn't.
I said, that it had been a while since it had been tuned. Naturally, I
checked for a separated pinblock, or some reason for this extremely low
pitch. I asked him when it had been tuned. He remembered the year, as 1929,
he had been a child when it was delivered.
I believe the reason was string stretch.
I brought it up, a semi-tone at a time, and then a fine tune.
It must still be ok, as he hasn't called me back.
Then again, he might believe that every 75 years is good enough. :-)
John M. Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada
jrpiano at win.eastlink.ca