[CAUT] Getting the plate out

McNeilTom at aol.com McNeilTom at aol.com
Fri Apr 27 10:00:56 MDT 2007

Colleagues -

Having set up eight shops over my 40-years in this business, I'd like to
weigh in on the topic.

(1)  There is no substitute for a trolley on an I-beam.   Extremely valuable
to be able to move a plate in at least one dimension other  than the vertical.
 And something permanently mounted overhead is  preferable to something
sitting on the floor where it's in the way as often as  not.

(2)  I like a hand-operated chain fall better than motor driven  hoists.
It's a bit more work that way, but very controllable.  All  the power hoists I've
seen (and the few I've used) start and stop with annoying  jerks (not
speaking here of the operator!).  Also the manual equipment is  much less expensive
than the power stuff.

(3)  The smallest size of standard I-beam is plenty for picking up  whole
concert grands.  And the smaller it is, the higher the trolley will  be.  That
gives greater hoisting space.  Unless you have 8 feet or  more headroom in the
shop, you will need every single vertical inch.

(4)  I've been using half-ton rated gear for decades.  That's  enough to lift
most concert grands.  If lifting whole Boesendorfer  Imperials, M&H CCs, etc.
will be a large part of your work you might opt for  one-ton.  (But even
cheap half-ton stuff will stand occasional overloads in  that range.)  Again,
larger gear costs more, and importantly, takes up  greater vertical space, thus
limiting your lifting range.

(5)  I am fond of my 'differential chain hoist'.  They are now  obsolete due
to some OSHA considerations.  I don't think you'll find one  available new in
North America.  But don't pass it up if you see one  at a farm auction!

Best regards,

~ Tom McNeil  ~
Vermont Piano Restorations
VermontPiano.com