[CAUT] Getting the plate out

Greg Newell gnewell at ameritech.net
Thu Apr 26 22:07:33 MDT 2007

It does NOT work great. At least not for me. It's
biggest problem, among many, is that it does not
lift it's load straight up and down. You have to
spend a great deal of effort making sure that the
plate doesn't bash in your newly finished case on
the way back in or on something that isn't going
to be finished on the plates' way out. The long
leg extenders that help balance the load that the
arm is lifting roll under the piano alright but
are prone to ding the legs. They also don't
change direction very easily or take too kindly
to small corrections in location. Depending on
the condition of the hydraulics involved the rate
of decent can be a bit scary all of the sudden
too. Naw, I've gone that route and don't like it
at all. I have an air driven chain hoist just
waiting to be attached to a trolley on an "I"
beam once I make the rolling gantry. Since the
gantry will be both height and span adjustable I
figure on being able to roll it overtop a few
pianos that are currently lying on their sides
waiting for my ministrations. You're welcome to
keep using that contraption much better suited
for what it was designed for than piano plates.

best of luck,
Greg Newell

At 11:02 AM 4/26/2007, you wrote:

>If you have the room, get an Automotive ENGINE hoist/lift.
>It works great, rolls under the piano like under
>a car, and very easy to roll around and lower,
>and you don't have to build anything.
>Problem solved ...
>
>You're Welcome,

Greg Newell