[CAUT] Wire Stretch, was Hardness of termination vs string breakage

Jeff Tanner jtanner at mozart.sc.edu
Thu Apr 26 16:14:12 MDT 2007

On Apr 18, 2007, at 9:41 PM, Fred Sturm wrote:

> My own take is that most of the pitch drop comes from the string
> conforming
> to the angles it is forced to go around. Creating positive bends
> (pressing
> against the string with a sliding motion) at each of those points
> hastens
> pitch stability considerably, in my experience. Most new pianos
> don't get
> that treatment, and so you find that high treble notes will go 100
> cents
> flat through vigorous pounding.

The last few days has me thinking about these statements.  I realize
what I am about to throw into question is not about new wire, but I
am curious just the same.

If plain wire does not stretch as much as we traditionally give it
credit, how would one explain the great difference in pitch change
from wrapped wire to plain wire as changes in humidity affect tension
change?  Not just crossing from bass into low tenor, but it is just
as much present when the first few strings of the low tenor are wrapped.

Jeff

Jeff Tanner, RPT
University of South Carolina