[CAUT] Pramberger pianos?

Jeff Tanner jtanner at mozart.sc.edu
Wed Apr 25 10:21:05 MDT 2007

On Apr 24, 2007, at 5:27 PM, Loren buntemeyer wrote:

> What can anyone tell me about the Pramberger piano?  I have a
> customer that is interested, but I don't know a thing about them.
> It is a model 118S upright.  Does it have a sostenuto?  Who and
> where is it made?  Is it junk?  What is the suggested list?
>
> Loren Buntemeyer
> Retired Tech KU

Hi Loren,
The PV-118S is the institutional 46 1/2" model of the J Pramberger
Signature Series line.  It is now built by SMC (Samick) in
Indonesia.  It very closely resembles the Yamaha P22 in aesthetics,
but has some upgrades in materials over the Yamaha.  Renner hammers,
agraffes through the bass section, Roslau music wire, plywood
cabinet.  But no sostenuto.  I believe the middle pedal is a "quiet
play".

These pianos feel very solid and have very good scales.  Nice warm
even musical tone.  Easy to tune, even with pretty tight pins.
Really nice furniture work, too.  I think they'll give the P22 and
the UST7 a real run for the money at a suggested list price of
$5,390.00 (same for all finishes, lacquer satin or polish poly).
They come in well regulated, everything in the action is beautifully
aligned.  Surprisingly nice for the money.  I've heard another dealer
is adding lacquer to the hammers for a little more power.  But I
really like the warm tone as it comes in.

I don't think they are junk at all.  I wouldn't have signed on to be
a dealer if I did.  The PV-110 model (43" home model) is just as
nice.  I have one in mahogany and everyone who sees and plays it just
raves about it.  Techs and teachers alike.

Still, these are not the premier Pramberger line.  The JP Pramberger
Platinum Series is a big step up.

Sostenuto is available only in the JP Pramberger Platinum Series
JP-131, which is a 52" vertical.

For more:  http://www.smcmusic.com/pramberger/

Jeff Tanner, RPT
University of South Carolina