[CAUT] Hardness of termination vs string breakage (was Re: restrung D)

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Mon Apr 23 16:38:13 MDT 2007

Hi Alan

As per Ed McMorrow,  Thin is about 0.5 mm and sharp is well... sharp
:)   No rounded edges... or just very very slightly buffed.

2.5 mm radius is just... well. I would never use that under any
circumstances myself. My experience tells me that is a recipe for future
string buzz noise.  YMMV :)

Cheers
RicB

    Ric,

    Would you mind quantifying "thin" and "sharp" for me? Ted Sambell talked
    about a 2.5mm radius, which works out to 0.1" or between a sixteenth
    and an
    eighth inch radius (for metric-phobes).

    Thanks.