[CAUT] Fortepiano key noise

johnsond johnsond at stolaf.edu
Fri Apr 20 13:58:59 MDT 2007

Hi-

We have a very nice Graf copy that is only about 5 years old and next
week we have David Breitman coming to play and teach on that piano.
The instrument is not used a lot, and never moved from the hall which
has good climate control.  I just noticed while tuning that it seems to
have more key noise than I remembered, so took a closer look and was
surprised by the fore/aft movement of key pulley.   I haven't had to do
much key work on one of these, so was wondering if anyone has a
suggestion as to what is normal.  Is it unreasonable to expect these
keys to have no pull like a modern piano?   It's a beautiful instrument
otherwise......

thanks.,

Dennis Johnson
St. Olaf College