[CAUT] restrung D/ Vaseline - Yikes!

Jim Busby jim_busby at byu.edu
Wed Apr 18 17:36:06 MDT 2007

Thanks John,

That's good info. One thing that Juan Mas Cabre does which may seem bad
in our eyes is he polishes friction points with a 1500 grit "polishing
linen" then applies an almost microscopic amount of lubricant at the
friction points. (Vaseline - yikes!) Tuning his stainless wire on pianos
prepped his way seemed to be immediately stable and very easy to tune.
Before anyone cries "blasphemy!" I'll just say that sometimes European
ways seem bad, but there might be some methods to be gleaned from across
the pond. I'm not quite there with this yet although Juan says many
techs there swear by it.

Jim Busby BYU