[CAUT] restrung D

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Mon Apr 16 15:21:14 MDT 2007

On Apr 16, 2007, at 3:34 PM, RicB wrote:

> Hi Fred
>
> I have a Sauter 220 under my care here in Bergen. Under 2 years
> old.  Its a wonderful sounding instrument with a clarity and
> fullness I find often lacking in this age where Yamaha has come to
> dominate so much.  It is one of my absolute most favorite
> instruments really.  Tho as much as I like it, honesty compels me
> to admit that it is anything but free of single string beats.  It
> is by no means plagued by them... but they are there and have been
> from day one.
> Cheers
> RicB
Hi Ric,
	Does it have titanium pins and ebony cap? I think the titanium was
an experiment in 2005 (Ulrich showed one in KC, and I believe he said
it was the only one that had them so far, or maybe the second). The
ebony cap was new in 2006 to the best of my recollection - I don't
recall seeing it in 05 at KC, but it was there in 06 in Rochester.
And I think he said the ebony (and maybe the titanium pins) was only
on model 275, though possibly 220 as well. I don't remember that
precisely what he said with respect to models. Not that I am making
any claim that this entirely eliminates false/single string beats.
Just that this is pretty much new ground for Sauter, and possibly
only in real production (as opposed to experimental models) within
the past year.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico