[CAUT] More on Single String Beats

Jeff Tanner jtanner at mozart.sc.edu
Mon Apr 16 15:02:58 MDT 2007

On Apr 16, 2007, at 3:45 PM, Ken Zahringer wrote:

> Wayne Stuart uses a device he calls a “bridge agraffe”. ...in fact
> Sohmer used these devices many years ago.  I suppose it didn’t
> catch on then because other manufacturers saw it as “their” idea,
> not “ours”.  With modern manufacturing techniques, surely they
> would be less expensive than the labor-intensive process of
> drilling, notching, and pinning a bridge, and would seem to offer a
> better termination as well....Does anyone have any experience with
> these agraffes?  Is there a downside to them that I don’t know
> about, other than inertia in ideas of how a piano is supposed to look?

I tune a couple or three old Sohmers around town with the bridge
agraffes.  One was restrung by someone else (now deceased) - and not
everything is like I would have done it :-).  The others are all
original (and yes, all pre-1920).  It is difficult to say whether I
particularly like what I hear.  The rebuilt one has rock hard hammers
that are difficult to voice and we really don't focus on it as if it
were a performance venue instrument.  It's in a country church 20
miles out of town.  But the musicians there are quite competent (one
is on staff here at the school of music), and they love the piano.
There are a lot of metallic sounds in there that disappear when you
get in the top section that doesn't have agraffes.  The top section -
with standard bridge pins - is quite nice actually.  They also
improve some if you can get a needle in the hammer any depth at all.
But there is also either falseness or otherwise difficult to tune out
noise in many of the agraffed unisons.  I'm guessing the rebuilder
was not likely to have known to dress those old agraffes before he
restrung it.  Whether or not that would have made much difference is
difficult to know.  I believe the bridge agraffes also have
"upbearing" rather than downbearing.  Perhaps it is because the
soundboard is 90 plus years old, but the tuning on that old piano
stays rock solid.

The other couple of similar Sohmers here in town had very similar
tones through the bridge agraffe range, even with 80, 90 plus year
old hammers and strings.

Looking to the violin for clues that obviously inspired piano design,
I suppose if a metal bridge termination would produce desirable tone,
the violin would have moved to that years ago.  But they'd rather
have a piece of quartersewn maple that's been sitting in a garage for
50 years shaved down as a string termination.

I think there may be something to the statement someone made earlier
about those false sounds creating desirable piano tone, and it is
something I noticed not long after I began here almost 9 years ago.
Of the two Steinways we have here, both finished within a couple
hundred numbers of each other, the one everybody likes is the one
with the most "falseness" in the singles, though they don't realize
it is there.  Even with the new hammers, much more mellow yet than
the originals, it has more "color".

Jeff

Jeff Tanner, RPT
University of South Carolina