[CAUT] restrung D

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Mon Apr 16 15:52:10 MDT 2007

I'm not sure it would... I just imagine that when the termination device
gets significantly harder then the string material itself... the
eventual wear and tear will take its toll on the string instead of the
termination.  This is one of the common trade-offs  with the front
termination... in particular the capo.

Since you mentioned that Sauter uses very hard stuff indeed... I will
most definitely keep an eye on the instrument in the years to come for
this kind of breakage.  I dont see it often... but once in a while I do
see a string break at the bridge termination.  Just happened on a
Bechstein I have the other day come to think of it, and I remember
thinking it a bit odd.

I'd like to hear why you think this wouldnt be a potential problem tho Fred.

Cheers
RicB

    On Apr 16, 2007, at 1:37 PM, RicB wrote:

     > I dont think you are going to get around the problem of grooving
     > without causing a new problem of string breakage...

    Hi Ric,
        Why would there be more string breakage due to a string going
    around
    harder rather than softer metal bridge pins?
    Regards,
    Fred Sturm
    University of New Mexico
    fssturm at unm.edu