[CAUT] restrung D

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Mon Apr 16 15:34:45 MDT 2007

Hi Fred

I have a Sauter 220 under my care here in Bergen. Under 2 years old.
Its a wonderful sounding instrument with a clarity and fullness I find
often lacking in this age where Yamaha has come to dominate so much.  It
is one of my absolute most favorite instruments really.  Tho as much as
I like it, honesty compels me to admit that it is anything but free of
single string beats.  It is by no means plagued by them... but they are
there and have been from day one.

Cheers
RicB

    Hi Alan,
        Sauter uses titanium bridge pins on premium pianos (at least the
    concert grand, maybe a smaller one as well). That's one hard metal.
    Ulrich Sauter thinks it makes a difference. They also use titanium
    for a couple other bearing points, and ebony bridge cap in the high
    treble (again, concert grand). The ebony is dense, hard, and probably
    the least hygroscopically active (reaction to humidity change) wood
    around. Me, I was quite impressed by the Sauter concert grand at
    Rochester. Wish I'd had more time to spend with it. A real showcase
    of solid termination, and the crystal clear sound you get from it.
        As for finding titanium pins on the open market, it ain't gonna
    happen. Sauter has them made to order by a jeweler, as I recall. It's
    not easy material to work with. Maybe there is something intermediate
    out there that could be used, if there was enough demand.
    Regards,
    Fred Sturm
    University of New Mexico
    fssturm at unm.edu