[CAUT] More on Single String Beats

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Mon Apr 16 11:09:03 MDT 2007

On Apr 16, 2007, at 9:44 AM, Willem Blees wrote:

> I'm sorry, but I wrote down the wrong numbers. Instead .02 - .001", it
> should have read .009 - .001". And those were educated guesses on
> where the line was on my micrometer.
>
> Wim
Hi WIm,
	I'm going to assume you actually mean .0009 - .001". I doubt very
much the variance was as much as 9 thousanths of an inch. That would
be bizarre music wire, indeed! (since there is a difference of one
thousandth between sizes). If you are measuring to those tolerances,
you need a quality micrometer, with a good friction stop, and with a
venier scale or a digital readout. Educated guesses aren't good
enough. If you lack a good friction break, technique of turning can
give a variance of at least as much as .001". Music wire does vary a
bit, but what you are claiming is far outside my experience.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu