[CAUT] More on Single String Beats

Michael Jorgensen jorge1ml at cmich.edu
Mon Apr 16 06:48:28 MDT 2007

RicB,
    Could the phenomenon where three strings tuned individually produce a
lower pitch when played as a unison relate to this thread?  The unison pitch
is often equal to the lowest pitch read of any one of the three strings at
any point during the attack/decay. This suggests that strings can be forced
to produce pitches different from what they are tuned to.  Perhaps a
soundboard/bridge refuses to vibrate at a given pitch in a given location,
thus being at war with the string, creating a false beat?  Adding mass might
change that condition.
-Mike