[CAUT] More on Single String Beats

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sat Apr 14 09:07:18 MDT 2007

Hi Folks

Several off list discussions with a few well known piano physics profs
has recently confirmed a now long held suspicion that the idea that
classic false beats or single string beats are caused by a loose pin is
just plain way too simplistic and very far from complete.  In fact loose
pins can only account for a contributing factor to the overall larger
and holistic bridgepin / bridge / and soundboard termination area. As a
consequence of this it should be expectable to find this kind of
falsness in all registers of the piano, contrary to present popular
belief that these are confined to the mid upper range of the piano.
Closer examination of what the overtones of strings in all registers of
the pianos does indeed reveal exactly this.  I am finding single string
beating in all registers and these are of the sort that respond to the
pressure of a screwdriver or similar tool to the side of the pin.  They
are quieter and harder to discern the lower you get in the scale,
probably because of the wealth of overtones and amplitudes of these that
are present, but they are indeed and no doubt about it very present.
 From A0 to C8 one can find this kind of single string beat popularly
called the false beat.

One thing I find curious, tho I have not confirmed it yet... is that
these beats seem to occur in range of 1500 hz upwards.  At least in the
ones I've been able to identify in bass notes... they seem to convey a
sense of being overtones in this range.

In all cases so far, the addition of mass to the strings front bridge
pin, or an area very close to same has an impact on the speed of the
beat.... and at some optimal degree of mass addition (or even
subtraction perhaps) the beat disappears.

It has seemed to me for a long time that this whole area of sound
problems needs quite a bit more close examination as to what really
causes this single string beat.  And it also seems more and more evident
to me that a cure, and one which bears with it other tone enhancement
factors, lies somewhere in an <<optimal mass at the termination>>
perspective as opposed to the idea that the pin simply needs to be tight
enough.  Especially since loose pins can so often be absurdly present
with no noticeable resultant single string beat.

Cheers
RicB