[CAUT] Ecsaine as key bushing material

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Thu Apr 12 11:50:47 MDT 2007

And used by many makers now, I believe including Steinway, for
knuckles. One assumes that one benefit is that it stretches equally
in both directions (unlike buckskin), so there will be less
likelihood of flabby knuckles. From a manufacturing point of view,
buckskin is a big problem, being uneven in quality and needing a lot
of attention to grade it, choose what part to use, get it to the
right thickness, make sure of grain (especially direction in which it
stretches least), etc. Many people I respect are saying it works
better, and will definitely not go hard like corfam. Seems to be the
wave of the future.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico