[CAUT] restrung D

Daniel Gurnee dgurnee at humboldt1.com
Mon Apr 9 11:08:24 MDT 2007

Wim,

I appreciate your interest.

The size of the drop of resin depends on the space in the bridge top
opposite the string, that is, how much will the space take, I usually
start with a drop about the diameter of the pin and placed at the
pin/bridge interface opposite the string.  A regular soldering iron
heats the pin too quickly and too hot causing the resin to bubble and
set up too quickly, a pencil iron is too weak taking too long to heat
the pin; a soldering gun, though having a wide range of flexibility is
easily controlled by watching the resin becoming very liquid and
melting into the cavity, heat should removed immediately for the resin
to gain its maximum integrity.

I have used super glue in my experiments but not with the success of
either a five or a thirty minute epoxy.  I have not tried heat with
super glue.

In approximately one/half of the cases of "false" strings, a correction
may be more quickly made by driving the string into the middle of the
bridge making a straight line contact of string to bridge from the
front pin to the back pin.

Daniel Gurnee, RPT, HSU Retired.