[CAUT] Yamaha CF value

Ken Zahringer ZahringerK at missouri.edu
Fri Apr 6 08:35:47 MDT 2007

Hey, Fred,

We have only used eBay twice that I have been involved in, so I don¹t have a
great deal of experience to draw on, but I can tell you what I know.

All sales have to go through the surplus property office.  They post the
items on eBay and handle all the administrative details there.  We supply
pictures, item description, and reserve price.  Surplus gets a percentage
for their costs, just like with the conventional auctions.  All sales are
FOB, as-is where-is, shipping is the responsibility of the buyer.  Payment
goes through surplus as well, and they notify us when we can release the
items.  We have the option of taking the items to the surplus warehouse and
they schedule pickup, but since there is no climate control there we haven¹t
done that.

A few years ago, before my time here, the School of Music tried to sell some
stuff on eBay on their own, before surplus could do that.  They had the
stuff sold, but it took so long to get all the necessary bureaucratic
permission the buyer went elsewhere.  Lesson learned.

Miscellaneous thoughts:  Set your reserve high enough so you don¹t give the
piano away.  No $24K Ds.  Don¹t try to sell junk on eBay.  Go ahead and let
the dealer give you $100 for that 1968 Wurlitzer studio; that¹s the quickest
and easiest way to dispose of it.  Be mindful of the total package.  What¹s
the price of the new piano with trade-in vs without?  Do you have a good
appraisal on your inventory so you know what to ask on eBay?  What are the
potential effects on your relationship with the dealer?  Is your school a
source of reasonably good used pianos for him, that he can make a profit on?
What might the impact on future sales, and sale prices, be if that source
goes away?  In other words, you might come out better this year, but will it
come back to bite you a few years down the road?

As I said, I have been involved in two eBay sales: the aforementioned M&H,
and a pair of high-end stereo speakers that was donated to the music school
a few years ago and never used.  In both cases there was essentially no
local market for the item, and I think that¹s the key criterion.  We¹re near
the end of a 15+ year process of turning over our inventory, after years of
neglect, to it will be several years yet before we have any decent pianos to
sell.  At that point we¹ll have to make a decision, but I don¹t anticipate
using eBay on a regular basis any time soon.  However, for that one nice
piano that you just need to get rid of, it¹s probably the best way to get a
good price and sell it quickly.

Regards,
Ken Z.

--