[CAUT] Experiment Success

Richard Adkins RADKINS at coe.edu
Thu Apr 5 07:33:54 MDT 2007

Someone asked if there might be a way to make your own fabric
softener/hammer softener....you'd want to know the ingredients....I
guess you'll need to be a chemist or know one to get the
proportions....

You can find out ingredients by looking here:

http://householdproducts.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/household/prodtree?prodcat=Home+inside&purpose=Laundry&type=fabric+softener

click on the brand type....you can click on the ingredient name once
the brand page is
up...some have fancy names for what they put in there....I like the one
they call "hydrogenated tallow"...now that sounds like something we'd
like toput in a nice set of german piano hammers, doesn't it?

Downy does not list their ingredients, so I'm not sure if what you can
find will actually work like Downy
does....here's some more....also found in some hair rinses....leave the
hair soft and silky.....maybe you
could give the piano a real silky tone with it?

(C14-C18) Dialkyldimethylammonium methyl sulfate

Di (C14-1S-alkyl) dimethyl methyl sulfate

Didn't we used to have a Chemist/Caut member, or was that over on the
other PTG list?

"Science.enotes.com"  has an article you might read:

http://science.enotes.com/how-products-encyclopedia/fabric-softener

cheers...

Richard Adkins
Coe College