[CAUT] Experiment success!

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Mon Apr 2 07:24:57 MDT 2007

Jim,  These hammers won't last a year or two anyway!  They are quite worn
out, so I thought there would be nothing to lose.  If they clog up right
away, then they will be summer project number 1!!!
The other question arising is whether the chemicals in Downy will be
corrosive to the strings.  That would not be good, however, they are
pretty old as well. The bottle only states the ingredients as
"biodegradable fabric softening agents (cationic)" (whatever that
means!)..   :>()

Paul

"Jim Busby" <jim_busby at byu.edu>
Sent by: caut-bounces at ptg.org
03/30/2007 07:30 PM
Please respond to
College and University Technicians <caut at ptg.org>

"College and University Technicians" <caut at ptg.org>
cc

Subject
Re: [CAUT] Experiment success!

List,

I think I read an article about Downy softener that said the long term
effect wasn't good. It seems it kind of "clogged up" the hammer so
future voicing was not possible. Anyone know about the long term effect?
(Within a couple of years) The Pianotek stuff isn't supposed to have
adverse effects. I've used it occasionally on marginal hammers with
success.

Jim Busby BYU