[CAUT] sanctuary formula

Mark Cramer Cramer at BrandonU.ca
Fri Sep 15 11:34:35 MDT 2006

I think those days are gone Wim, the nearly-new question, is acoustic or
amplified?

IOW, is the piano expected to carry the building acoustically, or will it be
miked?

If the piano is to be miked, it is probably part of an ensemble situation,
where the feeling seems to be "the least space the piano occupies the
better."

The lid will rarely make it up to the 1/2 stick, so the acoustic output
doesn't bleed into other mics, nor carry to the audience out of time-phase
with the amplified sound. Nonetheless, who wants to listen to a grand piano
shorter than 6', miked or not?

If the piano is in a acoustic setting, I'm still not certain there is (or
ever was) a ratio of piano size to room size. Consider (tiny) recording
studios that insist on a concert grand, simply because of tonality.

Back in my audio days (post tube amp/pre compact disc ;>) we encouraged
clients to always purchase the largest amplifier they could afford,
regardless of speaker or room size. As above, it was entirely about sound
quality (dynamic range, etc.) NOT volume.

(volume freaks always seemed to figure out how to "add some lacquer," via
the bass and treble controls anyhow)

So I will suggest any room described as a sanctuary or concert hall, decide
between a 7' and 9' instrument. And if price is honestly not the determining
factor, am not aware of any hall I serve (regardless of size) where a 9'
concert grand would not be the ideal instrument.

best regards,
Mark Cramer,RPT
Brandon University