[CAUT]   stack fit to keyframe

A440A at aol.com A440A at aol.com
Tue Sep 12 05:52:10 MDT 2006

In a message dated 9/12/06 6:38:57 AM, ricbrek at broadpark.no writes:

Ric writes:

> It would seem (on the surface) that the most consistent key leverage
> would result from  having the capstan/whippen heel arcs meet at the
> midpoint of the key stroke. I dont know if I would say that would be an
> ideal mind you... might be better for the key to actually be more on one
> side of this <<middle>> then the other.<<

Greetings,
 I had posted last month that I felt actions were more responsive if the the
capstan/heel contact point was located on the line between whippen and shank
centers at let-off.   When this is the case, the leverage is constantly
changing from high to low throughout the downward keystroke, giving   maximum speed
to the hammer at the point of let-off.
 I believe that the rising rate of hammer movement to key movement produces a
more sensitive action than one where the contact point shares the common line
at the half-way mark, which causes the ratio to accelerate for the first half
of the stroke, then begin to "slow down" for the second half of the stroke.
Any increase in friction doesn't seem to be detectable between the two set-ups.

Regards.