[CAUT] Hurdy Gurdy

Jeff Tanner jtanner at mozart.sc.edu
Mon Sep 11 13:30:26 MDT 2006

This is a deep hearted thank you to all for the answers to the Hurdy
Gurdy question.  If I ever encounter a real one, now I have some
ammo.  At least I've learned about something I didn't know about
before, and this has evoked quite a bit of interest for me.  I am
much appreciative of all the effort you all went to offering advice
and help.

It turned out to be a Faventia Barrell Piano, exactly like the one
found at this link, but with a deep red stain.

http://www.pebworths.com/Faventia/Faventia.html

Quite an interesting music box to be sure, at the time, an expensive
gift to her grandfather.  It has apparently earned the nickname
"hurdy gurdy" due to the crank handle you turn to play it.  She said
that's what she'd always heard it called, and I looked on ebay and
found one exactly like it, callled a hurdy gurdy.  Each pitch is
noted above each set of tuning pins (1/0), and a piano tuning hammer
is required to tune it.

...so I guess it turned out to be more piano related than I
expected.  I must say I'm disappointed it wasn't actually a hurdy
gurdy.  I'd gotten my hopes up for that.

Thanks,
Jeff T