[CAUT] arbor press

Ken Zahringer ZahringerK at missouri.edu
Tue Sep 5 13:31:05 MDT 2006

Hey, David,

There are three modifications.  I didn¹t use any of the parts in the
Stanwood kit.  I wanted to preserve them intact for possible future options.

The anvil: Get an old 7/64 drill bit and break/cut 1/2² or so off the butt
end.  You¹ll use this short end later.  I shaped a piece of 1/2² baltic
birch plywood to fit in the base of the press and epoxied the bit in one
end, upside down, so the butt end would stick through the little hole in the
base.  On my last set of hammers I pushed the bit through the wood, so I
guess I¹ll do it over in metal.  I have about 3/4² of bit sticking out from
the wood piece.

The ram:  Your press will come with a pin punch and a small hex head machine
screw for inserting center pins.  Both thread into the ram.  Get another hex
head machine screw that size, drill a hole in the center of the head, and
epoxy the short end of the bit into the screw.  I have about 1/4² of bit
sticking out of the screw.  When you get it all together, just make sure you
have enough space between the ram and the anvil to get a hammer in between,
with some to spare.

The handle: The original handle is a piece of 3/8² or 1/2² flat steel stock.
I broke mine on my second set of hammers, right at the hole where the ram
attaches to the handle.  I made a new handle from 3/4² flat stock, 1/16²
thick.  It is holding up well.  I cut a 3/4² dowel in half and attached it
with screw posts, like a butcher knife handle, then rounded the end on the
grinder.  All the press parts are held together with roll pins, so
disassembly and assembly is pretty easy.  The main change I made in the
handle is where the ram attaches.  Since the handle moves in an arc and the
ram moves vertically, the contact point moves back along the handle when you
push down.  The solution in the original handle was a big hole, which left
very little metal at that point.  That¹s fine for center pins, not so good
for a swaging press.  I used a smaller bit and a really small file to make a
horizontal slot for the ram attachment pin, preserving the handle¹s
strength.  If you have access to a milling machine, that would make the
operation a lot easier.  I also had to round off the pivot end of the handle
for clearance in the yoke where it attaches.

I hope this is reasonably clear.  If not, let me know and I¹ll bring my
camera in tomorrow and take pictures.

Regards,
Ken Z.

--