[CAUT] touch & tone & tuning (was why does it feel better?)

Ric Brekne ricbrek at broadpark.no
Fri Sep 1 14:07:43 MDT 2006

What Bob writes is true enough. All the nice looking math measurements
in the world can yield a completely wrong picture of a system they
attempt to describe and quite easily so... even if the math and physics
used are totally correct.  The problem lies in the fact that oft times
one attempts to describe too complicated a picture for the math and
physics employed.  We run into this time and time again in our work.
Another problem is that one simply applies physics and math incorrectly
to a given problem. Also a not uncommon phenomena in ours and for that
matter nearly every field.

That said. Galembo and Askenfelt are two highly refined scientists. By
that I mean they know pretty well just what they can and can not claim
with any particular study they execute before they even get started...
In good science thats part of the planning stage for a research
project... to be very clear on just what one is trying to show and to
what degree of precision one is attempting to show it.

They have shown clearly that in  laboratory conditions their can be
shown a (at least one) possible explanation for something a very large
proportion of pianists down through time have insisted they are capable
of.. namely to control tone by touch in a way most of us, with our at
best rudimentary understanding of some basics of the physics involved
can not fathom.  The results should open the way to asking (and finding
answers for) more questions that can/might shed more light on the subject.

Not being a physicist I tend to rely on statistics when it comes to
making up my mind on such issues... and I usually dont end up with any
thing like a firm position... outside of being firm about knowing what
we dont know :)  Statistically tho... seems like a far too significant
number of highly qualified pianists who claim they CAN control tone by
touch to ignore or dismiss. If I HAD to guess... I'd guess they were
right and that our lack of ability to explain why is .... well its just
another sign of how much we dont know :)

Cheers
RicB

Bob Hohf writes:

As a point of clarification, the bulk of the article is by Alexander
Galembo, the Russian physicist, and is based on his work at the Red
October Piano Factory in Leningrad (now St. Petersburg). Several
sections (including the one on shank vibrations)are drawn from
Askenfelt's work and contain clarification and edits by Askenfelt.
Galembo wanted Askenflet's name in the byline because of their long term
collaboration in many areas of piano research.

I wouldn't read too much into the results of the shank vibration study
because the vibrations were generated in an experimental setup.  As far
as I know the different modes have not been isolated in real piano
playing.  I also don't believe modes have been related to tone
production.  The systems we're dealing with are incredibly complex, and
generating meaningful data is unbelievably difficult.  Stay tuned--there
is more coming in future articles.

Bob Hohf

Behalf Of Cy