[CAUT] touch & tone & tuning (was why does it feel better?)

Bob Hohf rhohf at centurytel.net
Fri Sep 1 07:50:12 MDT 2006

As a point of clarification, the bulk of the article is by Alexander Galembo, the Russian physicist, and is based on his work at the Red October Piano Factory in Leningrad (now St. Petersburg). Several sections (including the one on shank vibrations)are drawn from Askenfelt's work and contain clarification and edits by Askenfelt.  Galembo wanted Askenflet's name in the byline because of their long term collaboration in many areas of piano research.

I wouldn't read too much into the results of the shank vibration study because the vibrations were generated in an experimental setup.  As far as I know the different modes have not been isolated in real piano playing.  I also don't believe modes have been related to tone production.  The systems we're dealing with are incredibly complex, and generating meaningful data is unbelievably difficult.  Stay tuned--there is more coming in future articles.

Bob Hohf