[CAUT] pin tightness

A440A at aol.com A440A at aol.com
Tue Oct 31 15:09:46 MST 2006

<<  The string has

long since stretched, but it goes out of tune too much, especially

during heavy playing. The pin has probably about 35" - 40" pounds on

it. (I haven't measured it, but that is what it feels like).  >>

I would give it either a larger pin, or a squirt of CA.  35 ft/lbs is way too
much, so I assume you mean in/lbs?
If so, that is way too little.  It will hold the string, but it is difficult
to set an anchoring amount of top-string tension with such a soft pin. I
really prefer pins to be between 100-130 in/lbs.  One reason I haven't recommended
Baldwin pianos is that their 200 in/lb. pin philosophy makes for very
uncomfortable tuning.
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT