[CAUT] RE : Quick fix Duplex was duplex

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Tue Oct 31 08:07:14 MST 2006

On Oct 31, 2006, at 12:51 AM, ed440 at mindspring.com wrote:
> Needle the capo side of the hammer, almost into the strike point.
> Ed Sutton

And check string level and mating. I think Ed's suggestion is an
excellent one, based on experience. I think the reason it works is
because the level and mating weren't quite perfect.
	I also move the string back and forth, if this doesn't work, based
on the notion of tiny metal shavings on the capo causing the noise. I
move the string back and forth using a prying method: screwdriver
blade inserted between capo and string from the duplex side, grabbing
the string with the corner of the screwdriver blade, twist the blade
so that the other corner of the blade is bearing against the capo,
and ease the string over. You are prying downward, relieving pressure
on the capo from the string, so that you don't "plane up" more metal
shavings.
	Check if it is at the bridge pin, by bearing a screwdriver blade on
the pin while playing the note, and also on the offending string
itself ahead of the pin. What to do "on-site" while tuning if this is
the problem? If the pin is loose enough, try rotating it a bit, so
the possible shaving on the pin is away from the string. Dose the
base of the pin with thin CA.
	And, of course, the already mentioned lower tension and pull it up
on the other tuning pin, to move the string itself through the
bearing points. And then address both strings at the bearing points
to re-create positive bends, for tuning stability, tone, and to level
the strings again.
	In the interest of avoiding such noises and what I have found to be
the causes of them, I like to space my strings pretty carefully
before bringing them all the way to pitch. Do it with the strings
taut, but so that you can move them pretty much with a strong
fingernail. Any final spacing touchup is done as above. On pianos
where I have re-strung the capo sections, with new bridge pins,
dressing the capo, and the above string spacing method, and with good
string leveling and hammer mating (with travel and square
understood), I am not plagued at all by objectionable front duplex
noise.
	Now I confess I haven't tried this on a Young Chang PG-213 (more or
less Steinway B copy), which has the nastiest front duplex noise
problem I have ever heard. I've seen a few of these, all with the
entire front duplex completely muted. Decided to see what it sounded
like with mute out one day. Wow! But, then again, I haven't done any
of the meticulous prep work on it, so maybe it can be made not so bad.

Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu