[CAUT] Harpsichord Register work and keydip

Dtalcott at cs.com Dtalcott at cs.com
Fri Oct 27 03:24:55 MDT 2006

Fred and others--

With my harpsichotd experience limited to a large (4 registers) but cheap
Sperrhake
and a couple of smaller instruments, I can only reply to your question 1.

Many years ago we had all of the jacks of this Sperrhake fittef with new
plectra
by the German manufacurer. This was an extreme hassle (packing & shipping)
as well as rather disappointing, since I had to return about a quarter of the
jacks
since the work was so poorly done that they were unusable.

We hired a "professional" to do the final voicing after I had reinstalled all
four
registers and did a preliminary regulation. This guy, about whom both my
friend
the owner and myself wrere suspicious (very  disorganized toolbox), did
have an assortment of plastic plectra. I recall -- after 20 years -- that
there were
perhaps four or five colors, including pale green. What these colors meant
I cannot tell you. Maybe thickness? Stiffness?  Sorry.

Cheers,
Dave Talcott