[CAUT] harpsichord sharps hitting balance rail

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Wed Oct 25 17:28:13 MDT 2006

On 10/25/06 2:26 PM, "Barbara Richmond" <piano57 at insightbb.com> wrote:

> OK, while I'm at it, I noticed while easing the keys to this Zuckermann
> harpsichord, that the sharps are hitting the front of the balance rail and
> making some noise.  Do I raise the sharps?  Should I make some sort of cut out
> so there's no contact there?  Any other possibilities?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Barbara Richmond, RPT
> near Peoria, IL

Barbara,
    Note that keydip is determined (usually) by the jacks hitting the jack
rail. Is the noise occurring with jackrail and jacks installed? If so, then,
yes, I guess do what seems most appropriate (thicker punchings under keys, a
small cut out in the key, a small cutout on the balance rail). But if you
are doing keywork in isolation, it may be that you have deeper dip than you
will in operational conditions.

Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico