[CAUT] Baldwin SD-10

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Mon Oct 23 07:51:24 MDT 2006

Not sure I would agree with this.  Loss of energy to the front duplex in the
form of heat is simply lost.  It will not be stored in order to be reflected
back to the speaking length.  The idea of the tuned front duplex was that it
would vibrate sympathetically adding something to the overall tone.  In
reality, the sympathetic tuning actually encourages leakage and loss of
energy.  Detuning the duplex or shortening it or increasing the
counterbearing angle or increasing the mass in the capo bar (as in a
Boesendorfer) or some combination of all of these discourages "leakage"
reducing the potential loss of energy in that section.

Differences between pianos in the sound in that section are more likely
because of differences in hammer/soundboard interactions than duplex design.
This is evidenced when one makes an alteration of an existing counterbearing
area, say in a Steinway.  There is no significant change in the overall tone
but the tendency for leakage can be greatly reduced.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com