[CAUT] Steinway Pedal Bushings

Ric Brekne ricbrek at broadpark.no
Tue Oct 3 03:28:52 MDT 2006

Hi Ken

I've always like felt better then any other solution thats come up
through the years.  And the reason is simple.  It is so darned easy to
replace in a jiffy. All you need to carry around is appropriate felt...
and I always have some of that.   As for longevity.  I think the key
question is whether either/both live long enough... not so much whether
one generally outlives the other.  Felt does just fine IMHO in that
regard.  Teflon has its uses.... but FMP only in powdered form :)

Cheers
RicB

We have one newer D here that has the teflon bushings on the pedal pivots,
and several older Steinways that have the cloth bushings.  The D¹s sustain
pedal is now squeaking at the pivot.  I can¹t really make any judgment about
relative longevity of the two types of bushings, since the one D is in the
recital hall and the others are in practice rooms ­ big difference in usage
hours.  What is your experience?  Who likes cloth vs. teflon, or vice versa?
Are the pivot rods all the same diameter, where retrofitting would even
work?

I have to fix the D with a new cloth bushing for tonight¹s performance,
since that¹s all I have, but I want to find out what¹s best long-term.

Thanks,
Ken Z.
--
Ken Zahringer, RPT