[CAUT] Steinway Pedal Bushings

A440A at aol.com A440A at aol.com
Mon Oct 2 09:52:11 MDT 2006

Ken writes:

<< We have one newer D here that has the teflon bushings on the pedal pivots,

and several older Steinways that have the cloth bushings.  The D1s sustain

pedal is now squeaking at the pivot. <snip> Who likes cloth vs. teflon, or
vice versa?

Are the pivot rods all the same diameter, where retrofitting would even

work?

I have to fix the D with a new cloth bushing for tonight1s performance,

since that1s all I have, but I want to find out what1s best long-term. >>

I don't like the Teflon sleeves, but that is simply tradition clouding my
judgement.  I have seen several that lasted a long, long time.  For the cloth, it
really needs to be in the .054" range with a lot of graphite worked into it.
Though it seems to be really tight, the clamp needs to be screwed down as far
as it will go.
    The pedal rods are simply pieces of 0-1 steel .285" in diameter.  I
notice that the last few I got were not polished, so I do that too.  On a heavy
wear pedal, the rod is sometimes eroded on the top where the weight is bearing on
it.  If you have not replacement, simply turn the rod 180 degrees to give a
fresh surface to the bearing side.   If you have a metal supply nearby, it is
WAY cheaper to buy some stock and cut to it length.
    Since I have gone out on a limb with my "long term" ideas lately,  I will
add that when a Steinway has worn out the damper pedal trapwork, I find it
better to simply tear the whole thing down and replace a bunch of stuff.  The
parts are not expensive and it takes no more than 1/2 hour to replace the axle,
three pedal rest cushions, ( I ususally just pry the leather up and replace
the felt punching inside), 6 leather washers,( rub them well with a graphite
stick), 3 rod cups, (don't forget they have to have a leather insert), and the
una corda and damper pedal bushings.  I have never seen the sostenuto wear out.
     I don't remember any Teflon sleeve squeaking, so make sure it isn't the
leather washers on the sides of the pedals.
Hope that helps,
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT