[CAUT] assistant position

johnsond johnsond at stolaf.edu
Wed Nov 29 13:05:35 MST 2006

Maybe it's ultimately hard for us to really know exactly how these
decisions are driven.  We've all seen how certain people and/or programs
always find their funding.....   In any case,  what ironically seemed to
help me a lot and actually got some additional funding for help was to
show how we were struggling with some of these same issues as other
schools around the country.    In the 80's there were lots of tech job
openings around the country at schools just beginning a piano
maintenance program- like us.  Good news for everybody.  At that time
almost anything was seen as an improvement over what had been accepted
for years.  Gradually, over the past 20 years that perspective is
changing.  Due at least in part to newer faculty,  are actually starting
to seriously talk about how things should be.  This has lead to another
wave of job postings, either as assistants or as replacements of primary
techs who burned out or retired or both.  I think it helps knowing that
you are experiencing a situation or trend much larger than your own
individual reality, but who knows in the end.  It can still be good news
though.  If you are liked and your work is appreciated, and there are
lots of offers available elsewhere, and the schools you compare yourself
too are working on solving these issues, then that draws some
attention.  At least it should.

cheers~

Dennis Johnson
St. Olaf College