[CAUT] Respect

Jeff Tanner jtanner at mozart.sc.edu
Tue Nov 28 16:19:53 MST 2006

I was called yesterday to tune at a local private college.  A
colleague usually cares for their pianos, but he was booked and I was
called to fill in.  There was to be a choral concert tonight.
Somehow the tuning date had been overlooked when scheduling their
normal tuner, and this was an emergency.  I was fortunate to be able
to fit it into my schedule.

I don't know the history of the piano or its placement in this
charming little venue.  Though I didn't see any plaque to forever
etch Mr. and Mrs. Jones' name in the the lore of the school,
considering the vintage, I'm guessing it was probably a donated
piano.  But I could be wrong.  A 40-year-old, five-footish, walnut
Kawai grand, with a model number that predated anything I was
familiar with, none of its parts looked to be anything but original.
It had a really bright, uneven voice, especially in the bass and low
tenor, although the high treble sang well and clear, and I was told
it hadn't been tuned in a while. When I arrived, I found the tuning a
little "dirty", but right at pitch, just like its usual caregiver
prepared me to expect.  It needs a good cleaning, and could use a new
set of strings, hammers and dampers, but it could be a decent little
piano again with some work.

What made such an impression on me to inspire me to write this note
was something else.  And this "something else" jumped out at me as if
that little piano was actually speaking.  This old "piano shaped
object" seems to be treated by the faculty and students with more
respect than we treat our own Baldwins and Steinways, almost all of
which are newer than this little old Kawai.  The outer doors to the
building were unlocked, and the auditorium doors standing wide open.
Anyone could just go right in and sit down and go to pounding
anytime, but it is pretty obvious that is not happening.  I found it
covered with a $400 custom made cover that we here don't deem our
finest concert grands worthy of.  In comparison to even our newest
treasures, the cabinet was relatively scratch and ding free.  This
isn't their concert piano, mind you.  It sits on the floor in front
of the stage in the drama auditorium, which is the only venue on
campus large enough to stage a chorus.  But if this one little piano
is any indication of how the faculty and students treat pianos at
this small private college, we, here at the big state university
downtown, could learn a lesson from them.  They aren't able to spend
much money on instruments and maintenance, but it appears, at least
from this one example, that they demonstrate a higher level of
respect and appreciation for the instruments they do have.

The small private school may not be able to afford the lengthy
resumes that fill our studios and may not attract the overachievers
who occupy practice room after practice room in our basement , but
the life lessons learned and the music that is taught and performed
there are no less important.  I rest assured tonight's experience
will be a musical event worthy of being a part, and that the little
piano will sing its heart out right along with the choir.

We really take what we have here for granted.

Jeff

Jeff Tanner, RPT
University of South Carolina