[CAUT] water stains

Willem Blees wblees at bama.ua.edu
Thu Nov 16 12:48:39 MST 2006

Paul

If I remember right, spray the area with a product called "blush
eliminator". (sometimes called Blush eraser) The white spot is
moisture trapped underneath the lacquer. The Blush Eliminator releases
that moisture. Let it dry, and lightly sand the area. You might need
to lightly spray the area with the same color as the piano, and then
steel wool it out after the lacquer dries.

You can get blush eliminator at a good refinisher store. (Schaff as it
on page 152 of their catologue.)

Wim

Quoting Paul T Williams <pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu>:

> Hi List,
>
> We had a boo-boo in the storage "garage" in the basement of one of
> the
> recital halls.  A pipe or something leaked on the cover which seeped
>
> through and sat of the lid at the very back and soaked in for about
> two
> weeks before the stage manager pulled it out for a concert.  It is
> our
> secondary piano in that hall.  It's a 1958 Baldwin D.  No water got
> inside
> the piano and when I tuned it this morning after sitting out for a
> few
> days, the tuning was fine. (thank God for that).
>
> It has the old laquer finish which actually was starting to crackle
> all
> over prior to the accident and now has a platter sized white stain on
> it
> and feels rather gummy.
>
> Is this fixable or are we doomed to major surgery?
>
> Also, Does anyone have a suggestion (if it's fixable) who does
> refinishing
> work in the Nebraska/Kansas area??
>
> Thanks
>
> Paul T. Williams