[CAUT] Rebuilding

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Wed Nov 15 14:15:37 MST 2006

Nice report Dave.

With results like this it is clear NY S&S is going to have to react
sooner or later or they are going wind up in duck soup.  No arguing with
the public as the saying goes.  I also interpret this as an attest to
the very fine rebuilders that have emerged on the scene over there.
And... seeings how they are no doubt economically ok if not thriving....
I'd hope that more shops in Europe would see the writing on the wall,
get their proverbial fingers out, and get with the program as it were.

Thanks for posting this.
RicB

    After our brief half-thread about rebuilding vs. replacing I went to a
    piano professor's studio to do some work.  He and one other piano
    professor each got new Bs in 2004 so now they each have 1 new B and 1
    60s vintage rebuilt B.  Each of them uses the rebuilt ones as their #1
    piano.  A third piano professor chose in 2004 to rebuild one of her 1983
    Bs rather than replace it.

    We also got 2 new Ms for practice rooms in 2004 so we have 2 new and 8
    not-as-new or rebuilt S&S pianos in practice rooms.  The student's
    choices for where they practice are based more on room temperature than
    either the newness or on the model of piano.  Normally you'd expect both
    professors and students to rush to the newer ones but that's not been
    the case here and the older rebuilt ones certainly cost less.

    dave