[CAUT] RE : Fortepiano stability

Robert A. Murphy Robert.Murphy at oberlin.edu
Wed Nov 15 08:14:46 MST 2006

Anne,

Bravo!  It's nice to have occasion to prove to skeptics that
fortepianos CAN stay in tune and don't have to be consigned to the
recycling bin.  I, too, have had similar positive results when tuning
for performances in Florida, Texas & Georgia.  The majority of my work,
however, takes place in Ohio, Michigan and New York, and occasionally
in Illinois, Iowa and other parts of the Mid-West where the RH from
Nov.-March can hover as low as 10%-15% on stage.  I've worked concerts
where the best of instruments have had soundboard cracks blast open
(sounds like a gunshot!) right during performances.  I switch into the
mindset of my checklist below when the RH drops below 20% or above 60%
(in venues without air-conditioning).

Robert
Robert A. Murphy
Piano Technician & Curator of Fortepianos
Oberlin Conservatory of Music
cell:    517.285.3269
shop:  440.775.8275