[CAUT] Tight Jack Pinning

A440A at aol.com A440A at aol.com
Tue Nov 14 14:20:24 MST 2006

Jim writes:

<< Ed Foote says a jack will move just as fast when pinned with 6 grams
friction as with zero friction.  (Ed, six grams measured where?)<<

Hanging on the end of the tender.

>>All other
things being equal, no, that's not quite true, but it is true that it may
still move faster than it needs to move, i.e., as fast as it can clear the
knuckle.   >>

      There is plenty of time for a "slower than 0 gram" pinned jack to
reset.  I have had good repetition out of older Steinway actions that were
verdegris-laden to the point of being able to feel the friction while setting the jack
position. Taking them out, I was surprised how tight they were, yet they
still played as fast as I could double time the key.   Jack speed is just not,
imho, anywhere near the limiting factor in repetition speed.
Regards,

Ed