[CAUT] Tired wippens

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Tue Nov 14 14:00:27 MST 2006

Thanks Willem,  Does that mean there are no longer that kind of wippen on
the market?

Willem Blees <wblees at bama.ua.edu>
Sent by: caut-bounces at ptg.org
11/14/2006 02:04 PM
Please respond to
College and University Technicians <caut at ptg.org>

College and University Technicians <caut at ptg.org>
cc

Subject
Re: [CAUT] Tired wippens

Quoting Paul T Williams <pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu>:

> Hi List,
>
> Here's an old question from a new CAUT:  When does one finally call
> it
> quits on a set of wippens?  I'm working on an old Steinway M circa
> early
> thirties with the tilted capstans.  I would doubt that the wippens
> are
> original, but they are definately OLD, squeeky and has substantial
> amounts
> of what Steve Brady calls "gradeau" (gunk) on the rep springs at the
>
> rep-lever contact/rubbing points.  They also are "dented" in on the
> rep
> lever/knuckle contact point.
>
> Although it is only in a practice room, we don't have ooodles o dough
> replace the piano.  We can afford new wippens, or I can "doctor" them
> one
> more time by cleaning and lubing all those parts which would be a lot
> of
> invested time...Not much I can do about the dented rep/knuckle spot
> though....
>
> What do y'all think?
>
> Thanks
>
> Paul T. Williams
> Univ. of Nebraska

Paul

If you can get the money to replace them, by all means do so. But you
will also have to change the capstans. Perhaps that is why Richard
avoided doing that in the past. The other thing to consider is that if
you leave the piano alone, perhaps you can get the funds to replace
the piano. I've got a couple 30's vintage M's and O's that I would
love to throw out and replace. But I don't have any money, not even
for new parts, much less for new instruments. I keep hoping that if
enough students complain, somehow, someone up the line will hear my
plea.

Willem Blees, RPT
Piano Tuner/Technician
School of Music