[CAUT] tight balancier

rwest1 at unl.edu rwest1 at unl.edu
Sat Nov 11 08:29:17 MST 2006

Wim,

My only suggestion is: Don't go to extremes.  The part you want to
work on is called a "repetition" lever not a backchecking lever.
Having a slightly tighter center can help hold the hammer high after
let off and help the rep lever do what it's supposed to do.  But too
much friction requires a stiffer spring which actually works to keep
the hammer tail away from the back check and will result in making
your problems worse.  I remember some teflon era Steinways that had
very tight rep lever centers.  Good backchecking on a mf blow was
almost impossible.  Of course there was also the problem of short
hammer tails in Steinways of that era.

Getting backckecks to work right has always bedeviled me, so I
sympathize.  Do a search of the 20 Year Journal CD's and read the
articles about backchecks, just to be sure you're not missing
anything.  I find the angles of the hammer tail and backcheck
surface, and the geometry (height of the backcheck at rest in
relation to the hammer tail, for example) need to be perfect in some
pianos.  There's no wiggle room in the regulation or geometry.  If I
were to cheat, I would reduce the spring tension in the bass to
eliminate the bouncy feel of a big hammer being pushed up by a rep
lever.  Yes, the jack needs to reset, but not as fast as in the tenor
and treble.  Power is more important in the bass than repetition
speed.  These are just the kinds of compromises that some pianos
require.

Richard West