[CAUT] Fortepiano stability

Anne Acker a.acker at comcast.net
Sat Nov 11 07:30:02 MST 2006

From: "Geoffrey Pollard" <g.pollard at usyd.edu.au>
> Hi all from Oz,
>
> I'm tuning 3 fortepianos for the Mozart triple piano concerto series this week
> and next, here in Sydney, for the leading baroque orchestra. Have just staggered
> home from Sat night after Friday night's first concert. Tuning stability was not
> good - and I am looking for any help from fellow CAUTs on techniques to nail
> tunings that will last more than one movement. I have about 2 hours pre-concert
> for tuning - 40 mins each. I'm hitting hard, and the 3 are becoming more
> obedient, but the arrival of 1.500 audience seems to unsettle them! Unison and
> octave drift. Any advice from fortepiano gurus out there?
>
> Thanks,
> Geoff Pollard
> Sydney Conservatorium of Music
> University of Sydney

I have worked in similar circumstances.  It is possible, believe it or not to make it through even with a large audience and still be in tune.

make certain the instruments have had all the lights on and the lids open basically all day.   Be fierce and firm with the powers that be.  No doors open, no moving the instruments.

I second the "Don't hit too hard"   part.   Do be certain to go slightly sharp then settle back down.   Firm blows, but they should settle in quickly

Watch your sequence so you aren't twisting the instrument as you tune.  Is each still in tune when you are done?

Your problem COULD be that your players are Ham Handers in which case it's hopeless.

Anne